Friday, April 30, 2010

FINALLY TOOK OUT THE TRI BIKE

WOW! this bike is fast, it is not me.....well, maybe it is me.

3 things have to be done for me to perform better, 1. there are a few adjustments that it needs, its really noisy. 2. a proper fitting will be nice. and 3. I need to get used to it.

so i took it out to south mountain, something that i have been wanting to do for some time now, but unfortunately i have been really busy, actually that's fortunate, in a way.

It was 5:45 pm, Arizona time, sun was still up bright, and there was a wind coming out of the west, southwest at about 23-26 miles an hour, according to the news, and my phone. we were going to face the wind, head on.

I decided to jump on it, and finally get a complete run out of it.....

my heart was beating, i was nervous, i have never ridden a tt/tribike, not at speeds nearing 40 mph. the first part of the ride was downhill, with my elbows steering my bike all i could think of was "dont fall you stupid mother fucker", I always ride my road bike with at least one finger close to the brakes, both brakes....with this bike i have to pick myself up and look for the brake, hoping that i dont hit the front brake first and fly forward in an attempt to commit bike murder.

I began to pedal the uphill ride which is about a mile, and then down we go. i hit 37 mph consistently and at points without pedaling. my friend Hector said that i looked like i was crouching too much, and he normally is the faster one of the two, he continued by alerting me that i was going too fast.

i could hear my rims cutting through the air, there was some strong winds that would push me sideways but im heavy enough (211 lbs) to keep myself from flipping over.

when i finally made it up the slight hill at the end, i was breathing hard, but i did not feel tired like other times. we rode back up the San Juan Trail, and then decided to go 2/3 up South Mountain, came back down at 38 mph.

it was intense, gotta give the bike a thumbs up, since i built it, and for the first time rode it without falling. That part i love!

will blog soon.

3 comments:

  1. Thats fast!

    I am in Virginia beach and we don't really have many good hills here, Just flat land. I am getting ready to move back to Albuerque so I'll get more time in the hills but I will have to get used to the 5K altitude I'm sure. I'm definitely looking forward to top speeds like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yesterday according to my speedometer and "mytracks" on my phone i hit 41mph.

    then again i had had wind pushing me a little more, so i cant say i take all the credit.

    There is an Event called "gila" something, i believe its in New Mexico. Enjoy the weather, i heard it gets just as hot as it gets here in Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah the tour of the gila is there. Big race for a little town. I am from NM but been gone for about three years working and all. I know the heat gets up there at times but the winters are not bad for training too (not to cold).

    ReplyDelete